The term ‘metaphysics’ has been increasingly used in psychosomatics works lately. But what does it mean?
This word is formed from two words: ‘beyond’ and ‘physics’. It is well known that the term ‘physics’ means ‘nature’ and denotes the science studying the general laws of Nature.
‘Metaphysics’ translates as ‘that which goes beyond physics’, that which is above physics, i.e., higher than physics. And what comes after physics? All that which cannot be seen or touched, studied experimentally, but can only be reached through one’s thoughts, the work of the mind and consciousness, felt through intuition.
Hence, the term ‘metaphysics’ is used to denote a branch of knowledge relating to the spiritual being of a human (as opposed to physical life). A human’s spiritual being comprises their thoughts, beliefs, principles, emotions, sensations, feelings, and soul experiences.
Thus, speaking of the metaphysics of diseases, we mean the spiritual-emotional aspect of physical illnesses. Usually, it stands behind the physical manifestation of the illness and remains invisible to the eye, but this does not mean it does not exist. It has been found that more than 80% of diseases are actually physical manifestations of a person’s spiritual-emotional being.
Today, many well-known and not so well-known people work in the direction of the metaphysics of diseases (or psychosomatics). Among them, one can meet doctors and psychologists who, based on their practice, develop their systematics of diseases and their metaphysical side (Louise Hay, Liz Bourbeau, Luule Viilma, V. Sinelnikov, O.G. Torsunov, N. Volkova, etc.). This article is dedicated to the methodology of Liz Bourbeau.
Metaphysical causes of diseases according to Liz Bourbeau
Liz Bourbeau is a Canadian psychologist who became world-famous thanks to her books on psychosomatics and her own healing methodology. Her position on health issues is revealed in the title of her first book, ‘Listen to Your Body, Your Best Friend on Earth’.
This means that the human body is a devoted friend, remaining loyal from the beginning to the end of life. When a person takes the wrong inner path (betrays themselves, lives with negative beliefs, thoughts, emotions, builds destructive relationships with others), their body, sacrificing itself, takes on the negative and starts to signal to them through illnesses. The body tries to say through pain: ‘Pay attention, look at me and try to understand my sign to you’.
Liz Bourbeau reveals these and other main principles of her methodology in her books and offers paths to self-healing. For convenience, she compiled a table ‘Metaphysical Meaning of Diseases and Ailments’, which lists all common diseases in alphabetical order with their metaphysical causes.
Note that a detailed analysis of the metaphysical causes of each disease includes a description of physical blockage, emotional blockage, mental blockage. The final point ‘Spiritual Blockage and Conclusion’ refers the reader to the end of the book, where they are offered to work on themselves.
Here are the diseases analyzed by Liz Bourbeau in her table, which is placed in her book ‘Your Body Says: Love Yourself’:
- Abortion, Abscess, Agoraphobia, Addison’s Disease, Adenitis, Adenoids, Adenoma, Acne, Allergy, Alzheimer’s Disease, Amebiasis, Amnesia, Angina, Andropause, Aneurysm, Anemia, Anorgasmia, Anorexia, Anus (problems), Apnea, Appendicitis, Arrhythmia, Arteries (problems), Arteriosclerosis (atherosclerosis), Arthritis, Arthrosis, Astigmatism, Asthma, Asphyxia, Atherosclerosis, Autism, Aphasia, Aphonia, Aphthae, Achilles Tendon, Aerophagia.
- Basedow’s Disease, Hip (problems), Whites, Bell’s Palsy, Ectopic Pregnancy, Pregnancy (problems), Infertility, Anxiety, Insomnia, Rabies, Myopia, Thumb (problems), Wart, Botkin’s Disease, Bronchitis, Typhoid, Bulimia, Bursitis.
- Vaginitis, Varicositis, Varicose Veins, Eyelids (pain), Venereal Diseases, Veins (problems), Weight (problems), Chickenpox, Bloating, Thymus (problems), Virus, Vitiligo, Vagina (problems), Sudden Pain, Hydrocephalus, Edema, Hair Loss, Hair (problems), Lupus, Inflammation, Congenital Diseases, Congenital Defects, Lice, Dislocation, Miscarriage.
- Gas (accumulation), Hallucinations, Gangrene, Gastritis, Gastroenteritis, Hematoma, Hemorrhoids, Hemophilia, Genetic Diseases, Hepatitis, Genital Herpes, Oral Herpes, Hydrocephalus, Gingivitis, Hypertension, Hyperthyroidism, Hypercholesterolemia, Hypotension, Hypothyroidism, Pituitary (problems), Eyes (problems), Glaucoma, Worms, Deafness, Shin (pain), Head (pain), Brain (problems), Dizziness, Systemic Dizziness, Voice Loss, Throat (pain), Influenza, Breasts, Chest Cage (pain), Hernia, Lips (problems).
- High Blood Pressure, Low Blood Pressure, Hyperopia, Age-related Hyperopia, Duodenal Ulcer, Delirium, Depression, Gums (pain), Childhood Diseases, Diabetes, Diverticulitis, Dyslexia, Dyspepsia, Dyspnea, Muscular Dystrophy, Diphtheria, Tremor, Duodenitis, Mental Disorder, Breathing (problems).
- Jaundice, Stomach (problems), Gallbladder (problems), Abdomen (pain).
- Healing, Stuttering, Bad Breath, Constipation, Wrist (problems), Occiput (pain), Cleft Lip, Tinnitus, Goiter, Dental Calculus, Teeth (problems), Itching.
- Hiccups, Calves (problems), Ileitis, Impetigo, Impotence, Intoxication, Infarction, Infection, Exhaustion, Ichthyosis, Sciatica.
- Stones, Kidney Stones, Candidiasis, Dental Caries, Cataract, Cough, Keratitis, Keratosis, Cyst, Cystic Fibrosis, Kyphosis, Intestine (problems), Claustrophobia, Clavicle (problems), Skin (problems), Skin Redness, Whooping Cough, Knee (pain), Knee (deformation), Colic, Colitis, Colostomy, Coma, Convulsion, Kona Syndrome, Conjunctivitis, Coccyx (problems), Measles, Strabismus, Bones (problems), Nightmare, Urticaria, Rubella, Circulatory (problems), Bruise, Bleeding, Nosebleed, Blood Platelets (deficiency), Blood Cells (problems), Blood (problems), Crohn’s Disease, Croup, Cuticle, Cushing’s Disease.
- Laryngitis, Lungs (problems), Leukemia, Leukopenia, Lymphatic System (problems), Lipomas, Fever, Face (problems), Shingles, Ankles (problems), Elbow (pain), Scapula, Lordosis, Lumbago.
- Joint Immobility, Malaria, Marfan Syndrome, Mastitis, Mastoiditis, Uterus (problems), Fallopian Tubes (problems), Melanoma, Meningitis, Menopause (problems), Menorrhagia, Myalgia, Migraine, Tonsillitis, Myocarditis, Callus, Mononucleosis, Bladder, Muscles (problems).
- Adrenal Glands (problems), Narcolepsy, Growth, Hereditary Diseases, Rhinitis, Neuralgia, Neurosis, Nervous Tic, Indigestion, Accident, Nephritis, Nephrosis, Nails (problems).
- Fainting, Dehydration, Baldness, Sigmoid Colon (problems), Obsession, Obesity, Burn, Chill, Pinworms, Oliguria, Numbness, Onychosis, Tumor, Anorgasmia, Osler’s Disease, Smallpox, Cervical Osteochondrosis, Otalgia, Edema, Otitis, Poisoning, Belching, Stiffness.
- Paget’s Disease, Toes (problems), Fingers (problems), Panaritium, Pancarditis, Pancreatitis, Parasites, Paralysis, Paranoia, Paresis, Parento Syndrome, Parkinson’s Disease, Mumps, Psoriasis, Groin (pain), Paget’s Disease, Pellagra, Penis (problems), Fracture, Fatigue, Pericarditis, Peritonitis, Perforation, Dandruff, Liver (problems), Digestion (problems), Esophagus (problems), Pleuritis, Shoulder (pain), Baldness, Pneumonia, Gout, Spine, Poliomyelitis, Polyps, Fullness, Confusion, Diarrhea, Cut, Sweating, Kidneys (problems), Hot Flashes, Prostate (problems), Rectum (problems), Acne, Psychosis, Psoriasis, Ptosis, Heel (pain).
- Cancer, Injury, Multiple Sclerosis, Rickets, Vomiting, Regurgitation, Retinitis, Rett Syndrome, Rheumatism, Rhinitis, Allergic Rhinitis, Corneal Ulceration, Erysipelas, Mouth (problems), Arm (forearm) (pain), Hands (wrists) (pain).
- Salpingitis, Suicide, Mumps, Ligaments (rupture), Seasonal Syndrome, Spleen (problems), Sepsis, Increased Heartbeat, Heart (problems), Cymecosis, Sinusitis, Bruise, Syphilis, Scarlet Fever, Scleroderma, Scoliosis, Weakness, Dementia, Senile Dementia, Lack of Tears, Salivary Glands (problems), Disk Displacement, Somnambulism, Tapeworm, Sleep (problems), Concussion, Tetany, Adhesions, AIDS, Back (pain), Spitting, Splenitis, Angina Pectoris, Tetanus, Feet (problems), Stretch Marks, Stupor, Catatonic Stupor, Convulsion, Joints (problems), Hip Joints (pain), Tendonitis.
- Tachycardia, Nausea, Anxiety, Crack, Thrombosis, Tuberculosis, Tourette Syndrome.
- Asphyxia, Nodules, Motion Sickness, Bites and Punctures, Uremia, Urethritis, Fatigue, Ears (problems), Bruise.
- Pharyngitis, Uterine Fibroma, Fibromyalgia, Fistula, Phlebitis, Frigidity, Friedrich’s Disease (ataxia), Furuncle.
- Hodgkin’s Disease, Cholera, Cholesterol, Snoring, Emaciation.
- Cellulite, Scurvy, Cirrhosis, Cystitis.
- Jaw (problems), Blackheads, Scabies, Sneezing.
- Neck (pain), Lenoir’s Thorn, Scheuermann’s Disease, Tinnitus, Schuller’s Disease.
- Cheek (pain), Thyroid (problems).
- Esophagitis, Eczema, Pulmonary Embolism, Pulmonary Emphysema, Endocarditis, Erythematous Acne, Endometriosis, Enuresis, Epidemic, Epilepsy, Pineal Gland (problems).
- Buttocks (problems), Ulcer, Stomach Ulcer, Tongue (problems), Testicles (problems), Ovaries (problems), Barley.
As we have already noted, at the end of her book with the table, Liz Bourbeau placed leading questions. By answering them, a person suffering from any ailment can clarify the cause of their physical ailment. The most important moment in the healing process, according to the psychologist, is forgiveness. She asserts that a person cannot heal without forgiving themselves. In this regard, Liz Bourbeau offers stages of true forgiveness, going through which will give a person complete healing of soul and body:
- Identify your emotions. Realize what you blame yourself or another person for. Determine what experiences this causes you.
- Take responsibility: this means realizing that you always have a choice – to react to the situation with love or fear. What are you afraid of? (Maybe you’re afraid of being accused of the same thing you accuse another of).
- Understand the other person and relieve tension: put yourself in their place and feel their intentions. Perhaps they are just as afraid as you.
- Forgive yourself: give yourself the right to be afraid, to show weakness, to be mistaken, to have flaws, to suffer, to be angry. Accept yourself as you are.
- Feel the desire to ask for forgiveness. If you can imagine asking forgiveness from the person you blamed and feel joy and lightness, then you are ready to do it.
- Meet with the person from whom you wanted to ask forgiveness and tell them about your experiences, ask for their forgiveness for judging or hating them.
- Establish a connection or make a decision regarding a parent. The listed stages (except 3,5,6) need to be passed if your experiences were directed against yourself. Indeed, forgiveness brings the lifting of the soul’s burden, relief, peace, and joy of life. It seems that for the sake of one’s physical and spiritual health, it is worth working on oneself.
Be healthy in soul and body!